Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Help- a book report

By Kathryn Stockett

This is a novel that deems to tell the story of what it might have been like to be a black woman maid for a white family. The author lived in Mississippi during the 60’s which is the time period of the book. The 60’s were a turbulent period as the black people, particularly in the South, started to attempt to break out of the strict class segregation that was in effect with separate schools, wash rooms, libraries, stores, etc. Martin Luther King was the leader that made it visible. He strived for peaceful resolutions as opposed to violence. President Kennedy got involved more than previous presidents. It was Lyndon Johnson who finally enacted legislation to force change.
The story is about a young white girl who dreams of becoming a writer and decides to write down statements from maids and compile in book form their stories. It is compelling and you almost think the people are real and not fictional characters. This was given to me by my son at Christmas. He knows the serious books I normally read so from time to time he gives me something to break up my routine. The problem with that thought was how real life this felt to me, so in effect I continued with my serious reading.
Vinie, Andy’s wife read this as a member of her book club. It would be good for any book club.

Jack B. Walters
January 5, 2011

No comments: