Monday, March 27, 2017

Hillbilly Elegy By; J.D. Vance

This book has received great reviews and is ranked as #1 New York Times Bestseller. It was recommended to me by several friends. I went to the Library and was placed 356 on the waiting list. Another friend in OLLI loaned me his copy last week. I have finished and will now make a short report. It is well written. At the end he thanks the many people who helped him. When I wrote my memoirs I never allowed anyone to see what I was writing until the book was published. Perhaps it could have been better, I will never know. I didn’t want anyone to soften my comments and be more politically correct. One accomplishment this author received was publicity creating huge book sales. I gave my copies away. No one who didn’t know me would be interested enough to purchase. As well as this was written I do not understand why it is so popular. It is his life story. The fact that he was born in Kentucky rather than New York as I was doesn’t have any special hardship as far as I am concerned. He does add comments about lifestyles in Middle America and draws conclusions which are of general interest. I apologize for not reacting as others have. It is worth reading but as a primer for solving our nation’s problems I learned nothing new. Jack B. Walters March 28, 2017

No comments: