Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Darkest Hour

I went to see this new movie today. I went with trepidation as I was so disillusioned with the movie Dunkirk. I am relieved to tell you this was done correctly. The theater was filled to capacity and at the end there was applause. This gives me hope that all is not lost. The people of today that did not live through those years and are poorly taught cannot possibly understand how critical that time was. The movie covers the fateful days in May 1940. Europe was falling nation by nation. The Army of Briton was trapped at Dunkirk. Churchill had just been appointed Prime Minister by a reluctant King. His military leaders were mostly defeatist in nature. The War Cabinet strenuously pushed for making peace with Hitler, threating to resign if he wouldn’t seek peace. With all of this pressure Churchill rose to the occasion and gave his famous “We will fight them on the beaches, we will….” The overwhelming response from Parliament and the British people kept England in the fight. Churchill was the right man at the right time. The whole world owes him a debt of gratitude. Who knows what the world would be like if he had failed? I urge you to see this movie and take others with you. I am attaching my book review that I have sent out before entitled “Five Days in London” by John Lucas. Jack B. Walters December 26, 2017

No comments: