Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Response to opinion by Eugene Robinson

Your opinion article in today’s Arizona Daily Star, entitled,” Rising number of Powerful minorities change race mix”.
You ended the article by throwing down a challenge. “Any body wanna bet”. I accept. I am 81 years old and white. Any time I have ever had the occasion to talk to a police officer, I always addressed him as “Sir”. This is my way of letting them know I appreciate all they do for me, putting their lives on the line, never knowing if they are dealing with a crazed person.
Your precious professor took offence at the officer questioning him, as if to say, I am important, you are just a lowly peon. How dare you challenge me? I know Obama personally, etc, etc.
You know that in the past there were lynchings, blacks had separate drinking fountains and were told to move to the back of the bus. That was then, this is now. It is time for you and other educated, articulate people of color to put that aside and deal with the here and now. We are getting tired of being told how bad whites are. By the way, to my knowledge I never dealt with a black man any different than a white man, so don’t put me down as a racist. Put me down as someone who believes we should all be treated the same regardless of race, or for that matter standing in the community.
President Obama is doing the right thing trying to close this episode, but I will not forgive him for jumping to the typical black position that race was involved.

Jack B. Walters
3961 N. Hillwood Circle
Tucson, AZ 85750
(520) 722-2958
July 28, 2009
jackbwalters@yahoo.com

No comments: