Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This is Herman Cain-a book report

My journey to the White House
By Herman Cain

I detest the fact that political campaigning has become a forever activity but I did happen to watch a little of the second Republican debate. There on the end of the line was a man who happened to have a black complexion who was a man I had never heard of before. He was obviously not a politician. His comments intrigued me. Soon thereafter I received an e-mail listing his many accomplishments in life. I didn’t believe it so I checked it out on the internet. It was true. Then a friend told me he had written a book so I checked Amazon and sure enough he had, not one book but many. Most dealt with his management philosophy. The one I purchased is the one I will be reviewing.
There are many things I like about this man. He rose out of humble beginnings in the South where blacks were discriminated against. He greatly admires his father who raised a family under these adverse conditions with dignity. The Civil Rights activity was in full swing when Herman was in High School. His father insisted he apply himself to his studies and not get involved. This he did. I heard a commentator on MSNBC deriding him for this. His father also told him to not play the victim card but do the best he could to achieve his goals. He has lived this advice.
Another thing I like is that he tells people he is an American who happens to be black. He does not use the term African/American. I have always disliked that term including other nationalities. He never uses a teleprompter. He speaks using his mind not what someone wrote out for him to say. As an aside I have heard him sing. He has a rich baritone voice. I caught the end of a speech he was giving in which he ended by singing. The audience was stunned.
He is not campaigning like all the rest. He probably will not raise much in the way of corporate contributions but with his style and speaking ability I believe he will strike a cord with those who are dissatisfied with the status quo. The fact that in such a short time he leaped to the top of the polls last week, even higher than Romney means that voters are starting to recognize who he is and what he stands for. During the debate last night, all of the other contenders beat up on him as best they could trying to knock him down before he can catch on. They all ridiculed his 9-9-9 tax plan. I don’t believe they will be successful. I don’t know if it is the right plan but I do know that our tax code is thousands of pages long replete with countless loopholes. I have always claimed that simplifying and closing these loopholes could result in a much lower income tax. Mr. Cain is at least brave enough to put out a plan, none of the others have. They just utter platitudes about taxes being too high without offering ideas on what to do about it.
Let me just say, you should read his book. If you do, you will be astounded, as I was, to realize his many achievements. He has turned around failing businesses and made them profitable. He is on many Boards of Directors and has received multiple awards for his success. In the book he states his ideas on how to return America to the great nation it once was and could be again. I won’t state that I agree with all of his positions, but I agree with enough to be excited about what he could achieve for America. Read it and learn for yourself. You won’t believe the skill this man possesses. I have no doubt he could be successful in this most important of all jobs, the Presidency of the United States of America.


Jack B. Walters
October 19, 2011

No comments: