Friday, July 31, 2020

The Good Shepard

By; C.S.Forester I bought this book after my son telling me about watching the movie starring Tom Hanks. The movie is called Greyhound. I look forward to the opportunity to see it for myself, Tom hanks never disappoints the viewer. The story is about the American Captain of a destroyer in change of bringing a convoy of 37 cargo ships to England in 1942. This was America’s first year in WWII. We were woefully unprepared. Captain Krause had been in the Navy for over 20 years but this was the first time he would be in combat. The German U-Boats were operating in Wolf Pacts with deadly effect. It was a critical time. The cargo was needed desperately. We learn of the tactics of evading attack by zig-zagging at irregular interviews. There were only four destroyers to protect the convoy. Once contact is made there is almost continuous combat. The description is so vivid you can sense being there yourself. I will not provide the details; I leave that hopefully to you to read for yourself. You will not be disappointed. J

No comments: