Monday, October 20, 2014

The Author of Dog Whisper Politics responded to my book report

Hi John, Ian Haney Lopez here. I'd like to ask that you resubmit your evaluation, but using quotes from the book this time to substantiate your claims. For instance, at the outset you write: "No matter what the issue is, the blame is placed squarely on the backs of everyone in America who was born white. No exceptions. Whether you are a good person or a bad person, a Democrat or Republican, a conservative or liberal, a religious person or atheist, nothing you can do can keep you from being racist." That couldn't be further from what I actually wrote. If you disagree, please provides quotes (and page numbers) to support your claims. All the best, Ian Dear Ian, You will note I address you by your first name not with your title. I want this to be between you and me on an equal basis. I will not retract my previous book report. I have re-read it and continue to believe it is what I gleaned from reading. You state that my opening comments could not be further from the truth. I am amazed that you should say this. From cover to cover you point out over and over how white people discriminate against black people. You return again and again to the past continuing to emphasis the racism of people like Wallace. In my response I agreed with you on that. You have forced me to take the time to skim thru your book. You insist I retract or prove you wrote the words that state all whites are racist. Page 36-First, it suggests that many and possibly most whites accept the connection between minorities and crime… Page 56-…Carter’s racial pandering… seemed to cement the logic of racial pandering. Your conviction is that whites as a block vote against the interests of black people. Page 71- These white Democratic defectors express a profound distaste for blacks… Page 77,78,79-“ Is your baby racist” The question blared from the cover of Newsweek Magazine- It describes the attitudes of very young children and their attitude towards people of color even when the parents do their best to reject racism. You can say these were not your words but they were presented in your book. This was where I concluded that being born white meant you were racist. Page 117- Here you state that after 9/11 whites had people who looked Arabic as their newest adversaries of color. Looking at the world today how can you close your eyes to the chaos all over the world perpetrated by those who adhere to Islam? Color has nothing to do about it. Page 136-…for the proof of white responsibility for racial oppression was everywhere in society. Again someone else’s words but printed in your book. Page 141- Today, the practice of putting forward nonwhite faces has penetrated GOP politics. Herman Caine is one example… I supported him. He could have been a great President for all Americans. You make him sound like Uncle Tom. I currently have a Ben Carson bumper sticker on my car. He would be a great President also. Page 150- Here you rage about the backlash when Obama became President. For your information I voted for him in 2008. I couldn’t stomach McCain/Palin. I didn’t in 2012 as I disagreed with the policies he was advancing which were diametrically opposed to what he said he would do four years earlier. The blacks continued voting as a block no matter what. That epitomizes racism for me. Page 152-Here you list the hatreds of those who are part of the Tea Party movement. This was a vicious unwarranted attack in my opinion. Page 167-Among minorities, 93% of blacks, 71% of Latinos and 73% of Asians voted against Romney…Sounds racist to me. Page 181- It seems that race agitates most whites at the unconscious level… Page 183- The whole page refers to an experiment done by a teacher. She divided the class according to eye color discriminating first against one group and then reversing with bad results. This proved your premise of all whites being racist from a young age. Page 187-Here you mention the removal of Japanese Americans to camps as racist. You had to be alive to understand how the attack on Pearl Harbor affected all Americans. Page 189- In its entirety you mention many issues of concern today and cast them all in racist terms. The entire premise of your book was that all whites are racist, page after page that is your message. To say that wasn’t your intent is mind boggling. Jack B. Walters October 19, 2014

No comments: