Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Commander in Chief

FDR’s Battle with Churchill, 1943 By; Nigel Hamilton Once again I was pleased to read a book complimentary to FDR’s leadership. I continue to hold him in my highest esteem as one of the greatest of our Presidents. Not only did he do his utmost to bring Americans out of the Great Depression but he took on the mantle of wartime leadership with great skill and success. This follows another book written by the author of his leadership in 1941 and 1942. The title is; The Mantle of Command. You can be sure I will read this book as eagerly as I did this one. The author faithfully records the events from the landing in North Africa by American troops through the destruction of all enemy forces in Tunisia, the next phase in Sicily and onto the mainland of Italy which results in the surrender of Italy. While there can be no disagreement that Churchill was a great wartime leader and his total respect for FDR, the theme of this book was Churchill’s reluctance to a landing in France from England. He feared for the consequences and did his utmost to keep the Allies in the Mediterranean theatre and enter the mainland of Europe from the South. FDR was convinced that only by assembling overwhelming forces in England and invading from there could the war be brought to an earlier end. Finally Churchill conceded but only reluctantly. He had no choice because by this time America was the predominant partner with over eight million men in uniform and the Arsenal of Democracy in full force not only providing for our people but keeping Russia supplied without which they would have been defeated by Germany. I readily admit that the forties was the decade that formed my personality and influenced me in my work years and beyond. We were all patriots then and of a singular mind to work and fight together as one for the common good of all humanity. I don’t apologize for this, merely state it as fact. This is a book worth your time to read. I found it at the Public Library. Jack B. Walters June 22, 2016

No comments: